G.O. Team Namibia 2007

It's Great To Be Home!

We arrived safely in Namibia!! The flight to Johannesburg was pretty uneventful… most of us were asleep pretty much the entire time, which was totally needed. The flight into Namibia was short and sweet. Jaime thought that the wings were falling off, but it wasn’t true. It was a pleasant turbulent-free ride. We lost 2 guitars and 2 bags, but we are praying they arrive quickly. It was wonderful to see Dieter & Joan again and to step back on the land that I have come to call home.

We broke the team in easy, we stopped at the mall in Windhoek for pizza so that I could run out and grab team money & tango cards to activate the team phones. The waitresses and waiters sang a belated Happy Birthday African style to Molly complete with authentic African drums.

On the way up to Dieter’s we saw a springbok and Melissa also spotted an Oryx. We arrived at Dieter’s this evening, got a fire going and had chicken soup and brotchen (bread) for dinner. Tonight was just a night to chill, relax & hang by the fire. Once 10pm came along we gave the team the permission to go to sleep & most of them took us up on it. The rest of us sat by the fire some more as Mike (the only smart one that didn’t check his guitar) strummed a few songs… it was wonderful listening to him strum “Stars” as I looked up at the amazing display of God’s handiwork. Soon it was just Jackie, Erin, Molly, Toivo & I sitting by the fire being taught some Afrikaans and laughing the night away. It is so great to see Toivo again and hear how the past year has been for him. Tomorrow we will spend some time acclimating the team by going into Nau-Aib and possibly Vyf Rand.

I am using Dieter’s dial-up connection so I will not post pictures until I get to the internet cafĂ©. It’s 2am here… time for me to get some sleep or I will be useless tomorrow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh oh Darin. Is that guitar insured? :) Glad you guys are there safely and got some sleep. Tell Toivo that we all said hello! If you run into little Cecelia in Nau-Aib, give her a hug for me!

Anonymous said...

HI TOIVO!!!! its mike! moly i am so glad you got to see an oryx! i didnt see one until i got to etosha....and arnt dieter and joan awsome! and i am so pumped you stayed up by the fire! thats the best times.....erin i hope you are having fun there too! i miss you both SOOOOOOO much and i cant wait to hear anothe blog.....tell toivo, dieter, joan, and if he is there richard i send my love and i am sorry for my stupidity on not coming and i miss you guys so much and please write back!

-mike

Anonymous said...

Hey Jaime....you made it !! I've been ho lding my breath and praying that you made the flight!!! how's Steph doing??? can't wait to hear more....tomorrow will be a better day...love you much..mom
;

LeAnne said...

Yeah! Will be praying the guitars and luggage arrive soon. Love ya

germaine said...

yea, duh... it was Melissa that spotted the Oryx. That's what I get for writing at 1:30am. and I hear that's what we have for dinner tomorrow night!!

Love ~G


All content is ©2007 Christ's Church of Amherst