G.O. Team Namibia 2007


7/July/2007

Saturday morning. The team slept in today. That means many of them slept until 8 or so. We had a nice breakfast together, and some decided to head to Swakopmund for a few hours, while others decided to stay in Arandis and spend time with their new friends. I sit in this internet cafĂ© (blazing connection rate of 20Mbps!) enjoying a coke… there is a God!

This afternoon many of us will be wandering the streets of Arandis with an evangelistic team from Windhoek. They dress up like clowns and walk the streets telling people Jesus loves them. Those who know me understand how ridiculous I think this is. I’ve already told my team to restrain me if one clown honks his nose and asks me if I love Jesus! I’ll be laying hands on him… in a ‘spiritual’ way. This isn’t a mandatory thing for my team. But, I will say that I am more than a little surprised at which members of my team have said they intend to go be a part of this. I’ll leave it at that. I suppose it could have something to do with the fact that the drummer in the Windhoek band, a certain young man named Marnus is part of the team. Hey, the Apostle Paul said, “Whatever works” (loose Darin paraphrase… but he said something like that).

Tonight is the big weekend performance that StephB, Jaime, StephL, Casey, Amanda and Pearl have been preparing their dancers for all week long. I have to tell you, this will be amazing. I’ve been watching the rehearsals all week, and still, I await this with great anticipation. Amanda and StephB danced their duet last night that they choreographed to Amazing Grace at the Friday night service. Amazing. It will be done again Sunday morning at church as Pastor Tresford asked them to do it again. The girls have a tap number and a couple of solos ready for tonight too, if they are needed. Pearl’s dancers have a few numbers ready, including one that our girls jumped into. We’re all excited to show off Pearl’s choreography before a large crowd. The final number is one MHDC parents will remember – Absolutely Everybody, and a stage that includes a couple of groups of the Namibian kids, totaling 60 at song’s end. Oh yea, mixed in there, Mike, Kevin and I will be playing a couple of songs… with our chorus of 18 singing alongside us.

I’m keenly aware of what the next 24 hours will mean for this team. You at home should pray for your loved ones. Saying goodbye as we head out after church tomorrow will be very hard. I am noticing the strain already on several of our team members. Erin had a visitor to our home this morning, a girl named Jennifer that she met at the school. Kat has a few friends she’s met, including one girl named Jesme who brought her a picture of herself. All the dance girls have been giving themselves away to the children in the dance classes and to Pearl. Amanda spoke last night with one of the boys in the class, Raymond, and his story broke her heart. He’s 15 and still in Primary School. He has no real relationship with his parents, and the dance group is his ‘family’. He wanted to know when the girls are leaving and if they will ever come back. Jaime has a handful of the pre-schoolers that adore her. I arrived yesterday to see Beauty and Precious each on a leg and Revival climbing on her like she was a jungle gym. Jaime’s face gave her away. Goodbye will be hard.

I’m off to spend some time with my team. There is a hamburger in our future. And more coke. Have I told you yet, there is a God! We head out to begin our debriefs and to prepare for reentry tomorrow. I am not sure what communication will look like these next few days. We will endeavor where and when we can to chime in here. Be patient, and as I’ve asked, pray for us.

By the way… to those who remember… God speaks out of the southern hemisphere night. And, He’s spoken volumes to members of this team. See you all in less than a week.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darin's blog brings to mind "Send in the Clowns", a song whose title refers to the circus where the clowns are sent in to distract the audience from problems that occur during an act....


Erin, he has also made me very curious now if you are going to be joining the walk with the clowns! :)

While you are undoubtedly anxious to get back home (and to warm showers!), I can only imagine on the other hand how difficult it will be to leave - just reading the blogs about the friends you've made and the people you have touched on your trip such as Jennifer is heartwarming, tearful and joyous all at the same time, and makes me even more proud of you than I already am. I can't wait to hear all the stories and see the pictures.

As mom wrote, Patrick is on the hunt for a new dog, so don't be surprised if one greets you at the door! For now, Derby is vacationing with us.

I hope you and the team have uneventful and safe travels home; we will see you very soon!

Love you, --Dad

Jimmy C said...

Darin, We recieved an email from our freinds in Ondongwa, Bonniface and Saara. Saara is very sick. We don't have the details of her illness but she is getting better. please pray for her.
Enjoy the debeif in Etosha.

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa, News from Aunt Linda's family. Kenny has become a dad. His wife Claire gave birth to a boy yesterday. A few complications but all are doing well. Aunt Linda is the last to be a grammy and the second to the oldest. How are you doing. Are you leaving the camp you have been at? That will be so emotional I'm sure. But is is good to know you will return with more people to help. What do you miss the most back home? We are praying every day for your success. I send on all the info you send me. Have you made any friends? Will they write? I love you. I also let the slackers know to blog. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Dennise and Casey,
I have no idea if you got my last email or not. Greg tried to help me with Casey's My Space but I would have to be listed oh her site I guess. Anyway, hope you are getting this.

Very interesting paragraph that you wrote Dennise. So Doug would like to join you, wow.

Just got back from vacation today. My family loved staying in your home. They all had a blast.

I tried to play the Africa video but only was able to play a short part.

Love and HUGS to you both and to all your friends.,
DOris and of course, I am praying daily for all of you and those you encounter.

Mark Levesque said...

Hi Kat et al-
It sounds like you are experiencing a life-altering event. That's wonderful. We're all eager to hear you relate your experiences when you get home. Make sure you're writing things down! (ask me how I know this)

Keep up the good works.

Dad

Anonymous said...

Jaime & Steph...thought about you often today knowing that your performance was to take place...I think I felt like i was a nervous mom at competition!!! my stomach was queezy and I was nervous!!! I know it must have went perfectly!! the kids had the best teachers in the world!! congrats on all your hard work...I'm sooo proud of all of you!! well...I guess the time has come for you to say goodbye...I know it will be hard but think of the difference you made in all of these special kids lives!! they will never forget you nor will you forget them...there's always next year...right Jaime????have a great time in Etosha and have a safe flight home...love and miss you...see you soon...<3..xxooxxoo..mom

Anonymous said...

Darin, Mike, G, Jackie, Denisse...thanks sooo much for taking care of my girls...I knew they were in great hands with this team!!! I'm praying for a safe flight home and can't wait to have a reunion...it's definitely going to be at our house!!! singing and all the stories to be told!!! to all the other members of this awesome 2007 team...you should all be proud of what you've accomplished!! Just reading about what you've done makes me so proud to have my girls be part of this team!! have a great time on your safari...take lots of pictures and remember to reflect on what you've accomplished...hug each other, cry, laugh...remember...each trip is different from the last...see you all in Boston!!!! luv...denise

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin!
It has been so great each day to read all the updates. God is doing great things thru all of you. I know it will be difficult to leave, but God will continue to grow all the seed that has been sown.

We are counting the days until we see you in August. Enjoy your last days there. Grandmother & Pa send their love and prayers.

Can't wait to collect all those hugs we've missed for so long. We are praying for your safe journey home.

Love, Mom & Dad

Anonymous said...

Hey Melissa! the email blog you sent us was incredibly sad. it is amazing to read these blogs though and truely see from your experience how different life is over there. I hope you are doing well. Happy late 4th of July-we did nothing exciting over here and were all in bed pretty early lol. Im taping both Army Wives tonight, but Sheri has them DVRed for back-up. Have to be extra careful! We miss you bunches and cant wait to see you this week. Im looking forward to stories and pictures... and a tiger.
Love,
Mandy :)

Anonymous said...

Wild Thang...aka Kat
You must be getting yourself emotionally ready to head home by now. We are certain you have made a great impact of someones life (lives. WE are eager to hear all your stories
Does a hot shower sound really good
right now?
God bless you for everything you did in Namibia, even the things you will never know about. Love & Kisses
Grandma & Grandpa

Anonymous said...

Missing you G! I look forward to hearing all about your trip. Will be praying for you all as you head home. Jodi

Anonymous said...

GERMAINE!!!!
MISSIN YOU AND PAYING FOR YOUR (AND EVERYONES) SAFE RETURN HOME!!! DID MIKE REALLY RUB MARGARINE ALL OVER HIM???
CALL WHEN YOU GET IN OR EMAIL!
LOVE YOU!
~me
(l&j)
:)

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone!

If you are picking family up at the airport tomorrow, please be sure to check the Air France schedule. The itinerary on this blog says they get in at 5:00, but I have a schedule that says 3:00. See you at the airport!


All content is ©2007 Christ's Church of Amherst