G.O. Team Namibia 2007

Vark Plek!

I can not tell you how amazing this trip has been... my focus has been entirely different this time around, and it hasn't entirely been all me. As you've noticed... I have not been able to post as much as We would like to. Connections have been tough, I've been trying to get the video we have up, but it's continually not allowing me to post it. I get about 2 megs into the 11 1/2 and the connection keeps getting lost. I haven't taken my camera out as much as I normally would've, but I have some really great pics. I have been taking a lot of time focusing on the girls at the high school. I have heard stories that break my heart, stories similar to mine. I have heard stories of abuse, rape, disrespect and heart break. I have heard hopes and dreams of becoming doctors, engineers, accountants and auto mechanics. I have heard stories of girls that have great relationships with their fathers and families that really care. I have learned that there is still arranged marriages in some tribes and it doesn't matter if the man is 20 or 72, the girls line up and if they are chosen by him they must then submit. I have met girls that love God and desire to trust in Him and that He gives her the courange to make the right decisions. I have sat in a home bible study cell and listened to a floor full of children of the participants sing Agnus Dei at the top of their lungs. All in all the trip has been amazing, indescibable and heart breaking.

Through the tears we have had many laughs. Toivo is always assisting with that and I couldn't imagine this trip without him. Last evening was the 4th of July and we celebrated by having a braai and marching over to Nan'a house singing the "Star Spangled Banner". She just had a team arrive so it was pretty funny. We also passed by the guards that are watching the movie set and they asked us what we were doing and when we explained that it was America's Independence Day and the we were sharing the celebration with another team of Americans they thought it was wonderful. Mike & Kevin had run back from Nan's and when we arrived back at the house they had set up a surprise rave in the garage, ummm... I mean Club Vark Plek... which is Jackie's nickname, but we can explain all that later... It appears that we are going to try and come back to Swakop tomorrow to see if we can get the video up.

6 comments:

Don said...

Okay....so now you're making me homesick!

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone
Wow. I'm so proud of all of you, for doing God's work, giving all of yourselves, and asking for absolutely nothing in return. Your stories so far have been heartbreaking, Darin, but when God is there all is never lost, and that fact is uplifting. I have to say again that I wish I was there, and I know Jason echos that sentiment. A special hello again to my '05 team members, especailly "the dance girls" as Jason and I lovingly refer to you as. You guys are all doing great, again. I hope Sadie will grow up to be as wonderfully giving as you all are. Take care, everyone. Love, Colleen

Anonymous said...

Hi Jaime and Steph!! I want you to know how proud I am of both of you for giving your all to the special children in Namibia...remember to hug them extra tight when you leave them!! Hugs are great!!! it makes them feel loved and special!! sounds like your dance program is awesome!! you're making such a difference to those kids and sharing your talents with them....keep up the great work!!! steph...so glad your luggage came finally but I'm sure you agree nothing compares to the love youre sharing with the kids!! you're a trooper!! Jaime....hope your doing well...that wasn't you that puked was it?? keep smiling!!! thinking of you and praying for you!!! to everyone else....keep up the great work and we will see you a week from today!!! can't wait to see pics and video!!! all my love, mom

Anonymous said...

ah yes....the namibian raves...those are very interesting...:D

Dave Nichols said...

*hug* G

D--

Anonymous said...

Will we be able to see the video. How do we link up to see this. Melissa's Mom


All content is ©2007 Christ's Church of Amherst